Olivia Jane Wible



Let us introduce you to our newest addition to the family. Olivia Jane Wible was born at 6:12am on Sunday, Feb 15th at St. Joseph Hospital in Denver, CO. She was 13.5 weeks early and weighed in at 1 lb 15 oz. She now lives in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at St. Joe's. She is doing very well and breathing on her own with a small supplement of oxygen. She will most likely live here for another three months.

As you can imagine, yesterday was an intense, overwhelming, and emotional day. I was woken up at home around 5:45am with a call from Allison's nurse saying that she was bleeding and being taken to labor and delivery. I quickly threw on my clothes from the day before and sped to the hospital. When I arrived the nurses dressed me in scrubs and ushered me into the operating room where Allison was on the table with about 8 or 10 medical staff working on her. The baby was delivered breach just moments later.

The baby was put on the table where cpr was performed and she was given assistance breathing. It was extremely difficult to sit there by Alli's side trying to comfort her while I could see the baby out of the corner of my eye being worked on. At that point I didn't even know if babies are viable with only 26 weeks of gestation (out of 40).

Allison was then taken to the recovery room for her anesthesia to wear off and Olivia was taken to the NICU. The doctors let me know that Olivia was alive and doing well so I got to go see her. After that I was back and forth between my two girls. It was difficult to maintain composure in the NICU as they continued to do medical "stuff" on such a tiny girl.

Allison's family rushed down from Boulder to assist. Thankfully Alli's sister had flown in to help just the day before and Alvin had been with them - otherwise I don't know how I would have been able to manage. I found it difficult to talk to my mom on the phone - it was just so unreal. I tried to send a text to some friends but it didn't seem to work. After all, we were in the hospital for a problem unrelated to the pregnancy. And, thankfully Allison was at the hospital when this rapid delivery happened because it gives Olivia a good chance of making it.


Our friend, Elaine, stopped by while Alli was still in recovery. Elaine is an OB doc at the hospital and saw Alli's name on the board and wondered what in the world was going on. Elaine was very supportive and sympathetic and a good friend to see, especially in this moment.

Yesterday afternoon Allison and I got to spend some time with Olivia. Alli had her foot and I got to have the tip of my pinky finger held by her little tiny hand for about 10 minutes. Later on after they removed the ventilator I got to hear her voice for the first time. It was small and soft but very assertive.


As for Allison, her pain has subsided quite a bit but it is not completely gone. She is staying in the hospital and the doctors are continuing to work on her case. She had a ct scan done yesterday afternoon to take another look at the cyst-like mass. The doctors don't want to rush into surgery but it is very likely in the next day or two. She was able to get some much needed sleep last night. She will be here at least until Wed if not longer.

So that's all for now. More updates to come. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and support - we are very grateful for such a wonderful community. Feel free to post any questions and I will try to answer.

Comments

TW Photography said…
We are so glad that things are looking good. The baby is just adorable. What an incredibly hard week you guys have had. You are loved and prayed for by so many out in California. We have you on a couple prayer chains. Hundreds already are lifting up Olivia and Allison. God is an unbelievably amazing God and we know He is in all of this. We can not wait to meet little Olivia and listen to all the praise stories that will come from this. We will continue to pray! She is already a fighter! Look out :)
Unknown said…
You're in my prayers for your strength and Olivia's health. She's so precious, and must be doing really terrific to be breathing mostly on her own already. Hang in there.
Anonymous said…
Praying for you, your family and baby Olivia.
Susie Grade said…
Chad and Alli, we love you guys and are praying for you. So happy Olivia is doing well, we can't wait to meet her and will be praying for her growth and development. Much love, Tim and Susie
Wendi Garland said…
Happy birthday sweet Olivia! We will be praying for all 4 of the Wibles. God is in control! blessings x 1000. love the Garlands.
teamhelton said…
What an amazing miracle baby Olivia is! We are praying and thinking of you guys a lot.
Unknown said…
Chad and Allie-- We are loving you both right now and praying for you.

-- chad's men's group
Anonymous said…
I don't personally know you, but I know Kristen Pearson and followed her link to this story. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. And your babe is absolutely beautiful. I wish the best for her!

-Michelle Gold
Austin, Texas
vaun said…
Chad and Alli....We saw Baby Olivia for the first time last night in Belize. We are holding you in our prayers and asking God to surround you with his peace in these unsettling days. We love you all dearly....Barry and Vaun
Anonymous said…
We are praying for you and little Olivia! You hang in there and take care! Love you guys, Katherine and George
Dorie said…
I work with Kristen and she linked this blog to her facebook page. Just wanted to let the entire family know that we are thinking about them.
Dorie B.
Austin, TX
Anonymous said…
Dear Chad and Alli,

We just found out what happened and wanted to let you know we are praying for you guys. Olivia is beautiful-I love her name! Please know you are all loved and lifted up!

Love, Erin for the Westons
Anonymous said…
I used to work with Kristin and I just saw your blog. Olivia is beautiful and she looks very strong! I just wanted to send you some support, I know it must be so stressful right now and I am sending prayers for you and your family. Hang in there!
Corinne
Austin,Tx