This past weekend I went to the Biblical Studies conference at Denver Seminary and learned much more about historic premillennialism (the idea that Christ will return after a period of great tribulation in order to establish his reign on earth) than I ever knew before. I've never really cared too much about the topic of eschatology (study of last things) because I figure that Christ will return one day and things will work themselves out. But it was good to think about why this matters at all. Everyone in every generation suffers some sort of tribulation whether its broken relationships, joblessness, homelessness, sickness, disease, death of loved ones, etc. So its important that as followers of Christ we build significant relationships and community so that when we must endure hardships we have others who will be there to support us. Christianity isn't merely about sharing the hope of our faith but it is about living together in peace and support of each other. Its about offering this support and hope to others in our world who are without. Its a holistic faith that cares about the body and soul as an integrated person made in God's image. In the end of the biblical story God brings us restoration and hope. All is not lost. All is not forsaken. Rather God restores his world and his people to the beauty in which he created them.
Comments
See you in March! ~Ray