Naming Alvin & Olivia

So I'm not sure we have explained why we named Olivia, Olivia Jane. To clear up one myth, it is not because Chad and I set out with the criteria of our kids having "L's" and "V's" in their names. We just like naming our kids after family.

Alvin was Chad's Grandfather's name. Alvin's middle name is Page and is a family name from Alli's family. My middle name is Page and it was my grandfather's name and originally a maiden name.

Olivia comes from another name in Alli's family that was originally a maiden name - Oliver. So I have a few cousins with Oliver as their name. Even closer to home, though, is it is my dad's middle name. My great-grandfather had it in his name as well. Jane is Chad's mom.

I'm excited to honor our families in general as well as specific people. Both of us find a lot of identity, grounding and meaning in being able to know where we come from and the stories of our families. Hopefully Alvin and Olivia will find the same hope and meaning as they learn about their families through contact, but also in carrying their names and making them their own.

Comments

JodeJette said…
I love that you took the time to explain the names! I am "into" names and using names with fmaily or friendship ties is especially touching. My kids' middle names are namesakes.q

I personally didn't notice the L and V similiarities! But that is cute.