Recovery

I'm glad Chad has been faithful on posting. Olivia is doing well. I'm excited to see her this afternoon. Recovery has enabled me to get to the hospital about every other day, although with Alvin at his grandparents this past weekend I actually made it 3 days in a row. Unfortunately those were rough days for Olivia. Just part of the rollarcoaster. The best things for Olivia right now are time and just to grow. She would have been 30 weeks today. So every day and ounce she gains is in her favor. Praise for another day.

Recovery is going well. But "well" means slow, at least in my book. I keep forgetting I had major surgery. And then I see my incision and remember why I can't do anything. So "well" also means frustrating, because I just can't and shouldn't do much. I'm thankful for our friends and family who have stepped into those places that I just can't do - especially with watching Alvin and yummy food. But Alvin in particular because he has needed and will continue to need those of you who care about us around him. It is hard not being able to care for him myself.

Chad mentioned I had my staples removed on Monday. This is wonderful! I feel much less like Frankenstein and while there is still pain, the incision just feels different without them in there. I didn't like looking at them.

I am trying to find the humor where I can, so Chad and I laugh that I walk hunched over like an old woman. Although it does look eerily like my grandmother's posture as she got older!

We also had to laugh while at my appointment Monday. We are with Kaiser, which we have been very happy with, and they are all automated. So every appointment they check weight, blood pressure and vitals. The nurse at the surgeon's office was entering all this information into the computer when we hear a "beep" and she turns to me and asks, "How big was this mass they removed?"

Apparently the last time Kaiser recorded my weight was at an OB appointment and she hadn't read my chart. The computer had flagged a significant weight loss in a short amount of time. So I had to explain not just the mass, but child birth and what I like to call the hospital yo-yo diet. Not one I recommend...

Comments